Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

A prayer (hymn) when you awake




AWAKE MY SOUL ...

    1 AWAKE, my soul, and with the sun
     Thy daily stage of duty run;
     Shake off dull sloth—and joyful rise
     To pay thy morning sacrifice.

    2 Glory to thee, who safe hast kept,
     And hast refreshed me while I slept:
     Grant, Lord, when I from death shall wake,
     I may of endless life partake.

    3 Direct, control, suggest, this day,
     All I design, or do, or say;
     That all my powers, with all their might,
     In thy sole glory may unite.

Source: Albert Barnes, Albert. 1833. Prayers for the Use of Families (1833) 
----

This prayer is set as a hymn using the Long Meter (L.M.)  poetic meter. It has 8 syllabi for each line. Some of the popular hymns that use this meter are:
1. Jesus shall reign where'er the Sun
2. Just as I AM, without one plea
3. When I survey the wondrous cross



Please visit The Prayer List and pray with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment or request for prayer here.