Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

MORNING PRAYER


Sometimes I like to go back to the prayers prayed by godly men of years gone by.  Such is my little book "A Diary of Private Prayer" by John Baillie  (1949 edition)

The following prayer is an excerpt from "Seventh Day ~ Morning"

"O Lord and Maker of all things, from whose creative power the first light came forth, who didst look upon the world's first morning and see that it was good.  I praise Thee for this light that now streams through my windows to rouse me to the life of another day.
 
I praise Thee for the life that stirs within me.
I praise Thee for the bright and beautiful world into which I go
I praise Thee for the earth and sea, and sky, for scudding cloud and singing bird.
I praise Thee for work Thou hast given me to do
I praise Thee for all that thou hast given me to fill my leisure hours
I praise Thee for my friends.
I praise Thee for music and books and good company and all pure pleasures.
 
O Thou who Thyself art everlasting Mercy, give me a tender heart today towards all those to whom the morning light brings less joy than it brings to me.
 
Those in whom the pulse of life grows weak,
Those who must lie abed through all the sunny hours,
The blind, who are shut off from the light of day,
The overworked, who have no joy of leisure,
The unemployed, who have no joy of labour,
The bereaved, whose hearts and homes are desolate,
And grant Thy mercy on them all.
 
Let there be nothing within me to darken the brightness of the day.  Let the Spirit of Him whose life was the light of men rule within my heart till eventide.  Amen.
 
It may be long, and written in an English style we're unfamiliar with, but it speaks to  my heart big time.  I hope it speaks to yours too.

Amen

Please visit The Prayer List and pray with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment or request for prayer here.