Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

A prayer for maturity




The Mark of Maturity

Read Philippians 1:6–10

 This is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ. (Philippians 1:9–10)

Paul found joy in his memories of the friends at Philippi and in his growing love for them. He also found joy in remembering them before the throne of grace in prayer.

This is a prayer for maturity, and Paul began it with love. He prayed that they might experience abounding love and discerning love. Christian love is not blind! The heart and mind work together so that we have discerning love and loving discernment.

The ability to distinguish is a mark of maturity. When a baby learns to speak, he or she may call every four-legged animal a “bowwow.” But then the child discovers that there are cats, mice, cows, and other four-legged creatures.

One of the sure marks of maturity is discerning love and loving discernment.

Something to Ponder
With daily decisions, do you tend to seek what is good, or do you try to discern what is truly best?


Source: Wiersbe, Warren W. 2010. Pause for Power: A 365-Day Journey through the Scriptures. Colorado Springs, CO: David C Cook.

----

God, You are my Saviour and my Lord.

Help me to grow in maturity so that I may please You in all that I do.
Teach me to love others the way You love me.
In my daily decision-making, give me discernment to know not just what is good, but what is the best.
Help me to grow in maturity by giving me discerning love and loving discernment.

In Jesus' Name
Amen


Please visit The Prayer List and pray with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment or request for prayer here.