Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Prayer: Where Two Struggles Meet





Lord, 

You know I sometimes struggle when I pray. I read promises in the Bible that if I ask, it will be given to me*. And so I ask but then I don't receive what I prayed for. I read more and conclude that it must be my fault as I don't have enough faith **. I muster up all the faith I have and pray, believing that my prayers will be answered. But still, there is nothing.

Then I read more and think, maybe it is because I don't know how to pray "in Jesus' name" ***. But I am confused as I do pray in Your Name.

Lord, is it because I am so sinful and that you consider my prayers selfish ****? But surely you know that the thing I am praying for is not meant to be a selfish request. It comes from a deep desire in my heart. I am confused.  Am I supposed to reach a certain standard of spirituality before my prayer is answered? If so, Lord does that not sound so much like our relationship is based on works and not grace?

Lord, I am so often confused when I pray. Help me to understand and experience prayer the way you want it to be.

But Lord, even as I have been struggling in my prayers, I thank you as I am discovering that the struggle I feel is a crucial part of prayer. So, help me, Lord to have faith as I pray. Help me grasp that prayer is not about a set of rules but an important way my relationship with you grows and deepens. Help me to pray knowing, that You love me and want the best for me.

In Your own name Jesus

Amen

* Matthew 7:7-11
** Matthew 21:22, James 1:7
*** John 16:24
**** James 4:3



Please visit The Prayer List and pray with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment or request for prayer here.