Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

for those pursuing justice

In the middle of the night, Martin Luther King Jr was awakened by a threatening and abusive phone call, one of many he received throughout his ministry. His wife Coretta remembers him praying this prayer:

"Lord, I am taking a stand for what I believe is right. The people are looking to me for leadership, and if I stand before them without strength and courage, they will falter. I am at the end of my powers. I have nothing left. I have nothing left. I have come to the point where I can't face it alone."

His wife also remembered that Martin told her: 

"At that moment, I experienced the presence of the Divine as I had never experienced Him before. It seemed as though I could hear a voice saying: 'Stand up for righteousness; stand up for truth; and God will be at our side forever.'"

Lord, we join with Dr King in asking for protection for those who are peacefully protesting and for those who are leading the campaign for social justice. We know that many of them have fears and feel like they have nothing left. Imbue these with courage and a sense of your presence. Bring others along side of them to encourage and help them.

With love and thanks we say amen.
 
Please visit The Prayer List and pray with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment or request for prayer here.