Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

My First Real Prayer

It was April 1976. I was at a meeting of Christians on a Saturday night. The meeting was ending. An invitation to come forward for healing prayer was announced. As I watched my wife Ellen journey towards prayer I began a journey myself. I watched her and my heart broke once again. I so wanted her to be healed.

I closed my eyes and prayed my first real prayer. I began by saying “God if you will heal my wife I will stop drinking”. As I spoke a presence came over me. I became aware that I was a sinner. I felt dirty on the inside in my attempt at divine manipulation. I changed my prayer and told the Lord I would give up the booze because it was what he wanted me to do. I didn't really know it but I was surrendering my heart to Him.

Lord help us to pray real prayers. Prayers that cause us to sense your presence. Prayers that want your will in our lives more than anything else. Teach us Lord what it means to ask for your kingdom to come.

Amen
Please visit The Prayer List and pray with us.

2 comments:

Add a comment or request for prayer here.