Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Hannah's Prayer : 1 Samuel 2:1-10

Have you ever noticed how frequently the focus of prayer tends to be creatures rather than the Creator, our world rather than His Kingdom, our wants and needs rather than His will? It may be perfectly understandable, but perhaps now and then we should follow the example of Hannah. Her prayer was almost exclusively a song of praise to God:

Then Hannah prayed and said:
"My heart rejoices in the LORD;
          in the LORD my horn is lifted high.
          My mouth boasts over my enemies,
          for I delight in your deliverance.


"There is no one holy like the LORD;
          there is no one besides you;
          there is no Rock like our God.

"Do not keep talking so proudly
               or let your mouth speak such arrogance,
               for the LORD is a God who knows,
               and by him deeds are weighed.

"The bows of the warriors are broken,
               but those who stumbled are armed with strength.
               Those who were full hire themselves out for food,
               but those who were hungry hunger no more.
               She who was barren has borne seven children,
               but she who has had many sons pines away.
"The LORD brings death and makes alive;
               he brings down to the grave and raises up.
               The LORD sends poverty and wealth;
               he humbles and he exalts.
               He raises the poor from the dust
               and lifts the needy from the ash heap;
               he seats them with princes
               nd has them inherit a throne of honor
"For the foundations of the earth are the LORD's;
               upon them he has set the world.
               He will guard the feet of his saints,
               but the wicked will be silenced in darkness.

"It is not by strength that one prevails;
               those who oppose the LORD will be shattered.
               He will thunder against them from heaven;
               the LORD will judge the ends of the earth.
               "He will give strength to his king
               and exalt the horn of his anointed."
Today, Lord, let me lift my eyes away from my earthly concerns and direct them toward You. Let me forget what I want you to do for me and ask what Your will is for me. For just this one day, let me replace petition with praise. Let me remember that You are the Creator of all, the Father of all, and the Solution to all.

Amen


Please visit The Prayer List and pray with us.

3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this prayer, Sue, and join you in lifting praise to the Lord. Thank you!

    In my morning reading, I just circled back re-read Samuel I and Samuel II and I get the sense that all of the event from Samual and Saul and David circle back and relate specifically to the prayer of a woman who looked to God, had her prayers answered, and then gave everything that mattered to her back to the Lord. This prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "let me replace petition with praise" - amen.. I join you in praising our Lord today.. He is worthy of our praise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Prayer....The story of Hannah's faith and prayer always inspires me to keep on praying..

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment or request for prayer here.